A colleague of my wife’s treated her to a few of these chocolate cherry cupcakes. I tried one. Decadent, chocolaty and filled with dark cherries the cupcake felt like heaven in my mouth . Rich, velvety smooth, chewy, moist and fruity. I asked for the recipe and my wife’s colleague graciously shared it with us. If you like chocolate, give these chocolate cherry cupcakes a try, they are amazing.
The usual me, I made a few adjustments to the recipe: I reduced the sugar from 1 1/2 cups to 1 cup and used Homemade Cherry Pie Filling. I also decided to use my tried and true chocolate glaze recipe that I used in the Marble Chocolate Muffins.
For some reason, after two attempts, the suggested combination of a 1/2 a cup of sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter, 3 tablespoons of milk and 1/2 a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips produced a very grainy, unpleasant glaze. Perhaps way too much sugar?
A cherry or two, or a whole spoonful of homemade dark sweet cherry pie filling on top is another very welcome modification that I made. It happened by chance. I had a little bit of cherry pie filling left over, with three whole cherries in it which I used to top three cupcakes. A juicy, tart cherry really took the cupcake to the next level.
Ever since then I make a double portion of cherry pie filling for these cupcakes – one to go inside, and one on top.
These cupcakes are best served warm, that’s what my kids say, though I like them cold just as much. When cold, they taste similar to brownies – chewy, a little dense and chocolaty. If you like them warm, you can always microwave them for 10-15 seconds before serving.
Decadent Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour all‑purpose
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups 1 can cherry pie filling (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1 cup semi‑sweet chocolate chips
- For the chocolate glaze:
- 50 g butter
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 50 g dark chocolate optional, 70% Valrhona chocolate recommended
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the cherry pie filling, together with electric mixer until smooth. Add in cherry pie filling and mix until cherries are in small chunks.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into paper‑lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 25min or until a toothpick comes out clean except for melted chocolate chips.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. In a medium sauce pan, mix the milk, butter, sugar and cocoa. Slowly bring the mix to boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Dip tops of slightly cooled cupcakes in the glaze to coat.
- Optionally top with additional cherry pie filing and serve warm.
© 2018 i Food Blogger. All rights reserved. All images and content on this website are copyright protected. Please do not use my images, as is or modified, without an explicit permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or post content, please rewrite it in your own unique words and link back to this post, or to ifoodblogger.com. Thank you!