A colleague of my wife’s treated her to a few of these chocolate cherry cupcakes. I tried one. Decadent, chocolaty and filled with dark cherries the cupcake felt like heaven in my mouth . Rich, velvety smooth, chewy, moist and fruity. I asked for the recipe and my wife’s colleague graciously shared it with us. If you like chocolate, give these chocolate cherry cupcakes a try, they are amazing.
The usual me, I made a few adjustments to the recipe: I reduced the sugar from 1 1/2 cups to 1 cup and used Homemade Cherry Pie Filling. I also decided to use my tried and true chocolate glaze recipe that I used in the Marble Chocolate Muffins.
For some reason, after two attempts, the suggested combination of a 1/2 a cup of sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter, 3 tablespoons of milk and 1/2 a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips produced a very grainy, unpleasant glaze. Perhaps way too much sugar?
A cherry or two, or a whole spoonful of homemade dark sweet cherry pie filling on top is another very welcome modification that I made. It happened by chance. I had a little bit of cherry pie filling left over, with three whole cherries in it which I used to top three cupcakes. A juicy, tart cherry really took the cupcake to the next level.
Ever since then I make a double portion of cherry pie filling for these cupcakes – one to go inside, and one on top.
These cupcakes are best served warm, that’s what my kids say, though I like them cold just as much. When cold, they taste similar to brownies – chewy, a little dense and chocolaty. If you like them warm, you can always microwave them for 10-15 seconds before serving.
Decadent Chocolate Cherry CupcakesPrint Pin Rate
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour all‑purpose
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups 1 can cherry pie filling (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1 cup semi‑sweet chocolate chips
- For the chocolate glaze:
- 50 g butter
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 50 g dark chocolate optional, 70% Valrhona chocolate recommended
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the cherry pie filling, together with electric mixer until smooth. Add in cherry pie filling and mix until cherries are in small chunks.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into paper‑lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 25min or until a toothpick comes out clean except for melted chocolate chips.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. In a medium sauce pan, mix the milk, butter, sugar and cocoa. Slowly bring the mix to boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Dip tops of slightly cooled cupcakes in the glaze to coat.
- Optionally top with additional cherry pie filing and serve warm.