This paleo smoked salmon salad cake is one of my favorite dishes – it’s healthy, it’s easy to make, it’s delicious and it’s visually appealing, full of bright vibrant colors. I got the inspiration from a traditional to Russia and other Slavic countries dish, which is made inside a deep dish and which uses pickled herring in place of salmon. I think that the brightly colored salmon makes this dish so much more colorful and elegant, and so does the cake shape.
I also wanted to make this dish healthier and paleo friendly, so I am using paleo mayonnaise for this recipe. I found dozens of recipes for paleo mayonnaise on the Internet – it’s quite easy to make and it tastes amazing, too. Now, the opinions are split on whether smoke salmon is paleo, but it appears that the tendency is to accept that it is paleo, though it should be considered a treat and consumed in moderation.
You will notice that I am not using any salt or spices in this salad cake. With smoked salmon being on the salty side, it’s saltiness balances out nicely with other ingredients. As to the spices, this salad is so flavorful on its own that there is barely any need to add or enhance flavors. You can, however, add your favorite spices if you desire.
To shape the cake I used a 6 inch springform cake pan, it’s works beautifully for this recipe.
Smoked Salmon Salad Cake
- 10 ounces / 2 heaping cups 300 g smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white onions finely chopped
- 2 cups white potatoes fully cooked, shredded
- 2 eggs boiled, shredded
- 2 medium carrots / 1 1/2 cups fully cooked, shredded
- 2 large beets / 2 cups fully cooked, shredded
- 10 Tbsp paleo mayonnaise or regular mayo if making non-paleo version
- 1 oz / 4-5 1x2 inch slices smoked salmon
- Fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot, half filled with water, to boil
- Boil potatoes, carrots, and beets until fully cooked
- In a separate bowl, boil eggs until fully cooked
- Let the boiled vegetables and eggs chilled completely, preferably overnight
- Prepare your salmon, eggs and vegetables and set aside
- Place a 6" round springform cake pan, bottom removed, on a serving platter and begin cake assembly
- Layer 1 - chopped smoked salmon
- Layer 2 - chopped onions
- Layer 3 - shredded potatoes plus 1 tablespoon mayo spread evenly on top
- Layer 4 - shredded egg plus 1 tablespoon mayo spread evenly on top
- Layer 5 - shredded carrots plus 1 tablespoon mayo spread evenly on top
- Layer 6 - shredded beets plus 1 tablespoon mayo spread evenly on top
- Carefully remove the cake pan
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a rose made from salmon slices
© 2018 i Food Blogger. All rights reserved. All images and content on this website are copyright protected. Please do not use my images, as is or modified, without an explicit permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or post content, please rewrite it in your own unique words and link back to this post, or to ifoodblogger.com. Thank you!