If you are looking for the best tasting, healthy baked stuffed chicken breast recipe, this one may be it. I made these chicken breasts for a birthday party and got so many compliments that I just have to share the recipe with all of you. The tender and moist chicken breast meat. The sweetness and brightness of the roasted peppers. The zest and creaminess of roasted garlic. When you put the three together you get a heaven in your mouth.
For this recipe I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs and baked them at 325F. I also added some chicken broth to the bottom of the baking dish. This baking method is very similar to the one I use to make my super tender and most skinless chicken breasts. It works really well with this recipe as well. The baking time in this recipe will be shorter though as the breast is cut in half to accommodate stuffing.
Key ingredients for this stuffed chicken breast
This recipe is surprisingly simple but it does require two key ingredients that you may have to go and purchase or make yourself in advance. Those ingredients are roasted garlic and roasted peppers. I made both myself from scratch as those are very simple to make and I will provide the instructions for you. If you’d rather buy them, you can certainly do that too but your results may differ from mine.
Looking for more great stuffed chicken breast recipes? Check it out:
Roasted Pepper and Garlic Baked Stuffed Chicken BreastPrint Pin Rate
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder (plus more if needed)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 cloves garlic (large, peeled)
- 8 slices roasted peppers (each slice is about 1/4 of a bell pepper)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley (or any other herb of choice, like oregano, thyme, basil, etc.)
- To prepare the roasted garlic, place peeled garlic cloves on a sheet of aluminum foil, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper. Wrap in foil tightly and bake at 375F for one our. Let cool a little, unwrap and set aside. The garlic can be prepared a day or two in advance.
- To prepare the roasted peppers, follow the instructions from the Roasted Bell Peppers recipe page.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the breasts lengthwise, making pockets. Do not cut all the way and leave about 1/2" uncut on each side other than the opening of the pocket.
- Rub the chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper all over.
- Stuff each breast with two slices of roasted peppers, then the roasted garlic cloves. Leave the garlic cloves sticking out a little, it will make for a much more interesting presentation.
- Transfer the chicken breasts into a 9" by 13" backing dish. Carefully pour in the chicken broth. Try to not pour over the chicken breasts so as to not wash off the seasonings.
- Sprinkle the tops of the chicken breasts with chili powder and gently rub to ensure even coverage. The chili powder is not absolutely required in this recipe but it adds more flavor and a nice color. You can substitute it with paprika if you don't have chili powder on hand.
- Sprinkle dry herbs on top and drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. The herbs add more flavor but they do darken quite a bit during baking. You can skip them if you want.
- Bake at 325F for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken breasts has reached 160F. Let rest of 5 minutes. Drizzle with pan juices and serve with your favorite side dish.
How to roast peppers 4 different ways – Tori Avey
How to Roast Garlic (a different garlic roasting method) – Savory Sweet Life
© 2018 i Food Blogger. All rights reserved. All images and content on this website are copyright protected. Please do not use my images, as is or modified, without an explicit permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or post content, please rewrite it in your own unique words and link back to this post, or to ifoodblogger.com. Thank you!