My biggest challenge when cooking weekday dinners is coming up with a side dish. Often, I can have a great idea for a quick main dish but would have no clue as to what to make for a quick side dish. When stuck, my solution is a mixed vegetable stir fry. My favorite recipe is as healthy as it is delicious. Are you vegan, vegetarian, or simply on a keto, paleo or a low carb diet? Then this mixed vegetable stir fry recipe is for you too.
How is this mixed vegetable stir fry made?
The preparation process is super simple:
- Blanch vegetables in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a wok.
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes with a little bit of fragrant sesame oil and garlic to give it flavor.
Why does this recipe work?
- Quick blanching softens vegetables just a little but still leaves some desirable crunch. It also leaves most of the vitamins preserved.
- Add a few drops of oil in the water and the vegetables will preserve their natural colors that won’t fade.
- A quick stir fry with garlic and sesame oil gives the vegetables an mind-blowing aroma.
- Hands-on time? Ten-fifteen minutes for prep and 5 minutes cooking time.
What vegetables to use?
My favorite vegetable to include in the stir fry are:
- Green beans
- Brussels sprouts
The choice of vegetables will often depend on what I have on hand. The list is by no means comprehensive and can be easily expanded to include many other great vegetables.
Looking for more delicious vegetable side dish recipes? Check these out:
Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry
Simple, quick, healthy and delicious mixed vegetable stir fry for a busy weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 broccoli head
- 3 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed or minced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (for stir frying)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (for flavoring)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Start heating water in a large pot, filled about 2/3 of the way. Add a few drop of oil to the water, this will help the vegetables keep their bright colors.
Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Rinse the cabbage and cut into about 1-inch pieces. Peel the carrots and cut into 1/2-inch slices on the diagonal. Rinse the broccoli and cut into bite size florets. Set aside.
Note: you can use any vegetables you like here. If you are on a keto diet, substitute carrots for cauliflower or green beans for example.
Once the water is boiling, carefully drop the vegetables in the pot, stir, and turn the heat all the way up to bring the water back to a boil. Let the vegetables blanch for 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a colander and let drain.
Meanwhile, heat a large wok or a skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over high heat. You can use any other oil of choice, such as canola or sunflower oil.
Add minced garlic to the heated oil and saute for 20 seconds to release aroma. Add the vegetables and fry, constantly stirring for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add sesame oil and continue stirring for another 20 seconds or so.
Remove from heat and serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve.
© 2018 i Food Blogger. All rights reserved. All images and content on this website are copyright protected. Please do not use my images, as is or modified, without an explicit permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or post content, please rewrite it in your own unique words and link back to this post, or to ifoodblogger.com. Thank you!