I discovered this method for making baked chicken wings by pure accident. I was making my favorite and hugely popular extra crispy chicken wings but, on a whim, I decided to change the process slightly. Instead of doing it at the end, I tossed the wings with the wing sauce 10 minutes before the end. I just wanted the sauce to thicken a little. The sauce I used this time was also slightly different – a mix of Duff’s BBQ and hot Buffalo wing sauce.
I also bumped the oven temperature up a little to get the wings cook faster – it was a long day out on Saturday and we all wanted something as quickly as possible. These seemingly minor modifications gave me completely different results. The results were mind blowing if I do say so myself. This became a completely new recipe. This recipe has taken the wing crown and is now what we consider the best chicken wing recipe. I’m very proud of this recipe and I would be surprised if other wing lovers don’t enjoy this as much as I do.
The best part is that it takes only 35 minutes to bake these wings. Here is a little video of my daughter making them. It’s very easy.
So, what was the end result? The wings definitely lost their crispiness after I drenched them in wing sauce and baked for additional 10 minutes. They weren’t extra crispy but the weren’t nearly as soft and soggy as your typical baked chicken wings. The texture was just perfect.
What I liked the most about the new wings is how they came out tasting similar to grilled wings, nicely caramelized, even charred in some spots. The high heat combined with convection did their magic. The wings turned out truly amazing. We made them on Saturday, then again on Sunday, and then again on Monday. This rarely happens in our house.
I am sure any favorite BBQ sauce of yours will do the trick, but our favorite is the Duff’s BBQ sauce which you can pick up at Wegmans and many other places in Buffalo or online. This is what I used in this recipe. I did a 2:1 mix of BBQ and Duff’s hot sauce with some fresh minced garlic added.
I haven’t tested this recipe with just plain hot sauce, but I would imagine that you won’t get the same caramelization and char that you would when using BBQ sauce. The reason is the much higher sugar content in BBQ sauces. This allows for much better browning and caramelization.
Killer Baked Chicken Wings (Just Like Grilled)
- 4 lbs chicken wings. separated into wingettes and drumettes
- 2 Tbsp baking powder DO NOT USE BAKING SODA
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Duff's hot Buffalo wing sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 cup Duff's BBQ sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- You must use a convection oven for this recipe. Set the rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a large baking sheet (16" x 21") with foil, then parchment paper. If you don't have a large enough baking sheet, cut the recipe in half or do two batches. Set aside.
- Pat dry chicken wings with a paper towel. Place the wings in a large bowl. Add the baking powder, salt and pepper. Toss until all wings are evenly coated. Spread the wings on the baking sheet.
- Place the tray with the wings in the oven and bake at 450F convection for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining the hot sauce, the BBQ sauce and the minced garlic in a small bowl.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Pour the sauce over the wings, then mix them with two spatulas to ensure all wings are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Move the wings back into the oven and bake for additional 10 minutes at 450F convection, or until the wings are nicely browned and start to char (start checking at 5 minutes as everyone's oven is different). This usually takes no more than 12 minutes but the time will depend on your oven.