Here is my very simple recipe for banana bread with sour cream. I like it a lot for its very nice and balanced taste. The sour cream adds subtle tartness to balance out the sweetness and helps make banana bread super moist without adding calorie dense butter or oil. The crust has gorgeous deep golden brown color. The crumb is open and airy, yet feels rich and very moist. If you are looking for a super moist banana bread recipe, this recipe won’t disappoint.
This recipe is the result of a number of experiments I did with several banana bread with sour cream recipes I was able to find online. They all were quite good yet always felt like something was slightly off. Not enough sour cream and the bread tastes a tad too sweet and not moist enough. Too much oil or butter and the bread tastes too rich. Too much baking soda relative to sour cream and there is some metallic, soapy taste left in the bread. To make a long story short, I am very happy with this recipe and love the end product.
When you make the batter, make sure it has the consistency of thick pancake batter. Such that tiny waves remain on the surface once you spread it evenly across the loaf pan. I measured the flour using the ‘dip and sweep’ method.
This bread tastes the best fully chilled. Enjoy!
Banana Bread with Sour Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 very ripe bananas 2 cups, mashed
- 1 1/3 cup 12 ounces sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour dip and swipe method
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp butter for greasing loaf pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans and set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour with the cinnamon, salt, and the baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the 2 cups of sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Then mix in the flour
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Start checking for doneness at about 50-55 minutes
© 2018 i Food Blogger. All rights reserved. All images and content on this website are copyright protected. Please do not use my images, as is or modified, without an explicit permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or post content, please rewrite it in your own unique words and link back to this post, or to ifoodblogger.com. Thank you!