How do you make great banana bread even better? Healthier? Yes, by adding blueberries and Greek yogurt. I love the blueberry, banana and Greek yogurt combination, which happens to be one of my favorite breakfasts. Plain banana bread can be a bit too sweet, even cloying if you are too liberal with sugar. But blueberries and plain yogurt balance the sweetness out, resulting in an amazingly flavor-rich, tasty bread.
For this combination to really work try using wild blueberries, which you can find in the frozen fruit section of many supermarkets. They have more taste, more color and more tartness. More antioxidants and vitamins too.
I think this banana bread is best when not too sweet, so you can taste the natural sweetness of perfectly ripe bananas and blueberries, and so the recipe was developed with that in mind. If you like more sweetness, double the amount of sugar to 2/3 of a cup, or even go as high as a full cup.
This recipe is based on the amazing super moist sour cream banana bread recipe I posted about some time ago.
Blueberry Banana Yogurt Bread
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 Tbsp butter for greasing the loaf pan
- 1/3 cups white sugar add another 1/3 cups if you want your bread sweeter
- 1 egg
- 2-3 very ripe bananas 1 cup, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries wild blueberries are recommended
- 3/4 cup 6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour dip and swipe method
- 1/4 teaspoon Morton kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour with salt, baking powder and the baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, Greek yogurt and vanilla. Add the flour and mix well. Now gently fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Start checking for doneness at about 50-55 minutes. If you want to a nicely browned, crispier top, finish baking on convection, for about 10 minutes at 325F.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.