Bacon makes just about anything better, like the deep fried Oreos I posted about, and this is definitely the case with chicken breast kebabs. Bacon wrapped chicken breast kebabs make the ordinary chicken breast dish an extraordinary one. The bacon adds complex, smoky flavor and helps keep the chicken breast pieces moist and juicy.
Though, this recipe doesn’t stop there and takes the bacon wrapped chicken breast kebab to an even higher level. The chicken meat is first marinated in teriyaki sauce and white wine. This marinade lends the meat a delicate, slightly sweet and and delightful flavor.
Then, a leaf of fresh basil is added to each piece of the chicken. The roasted basil perfectly complements the overall flavor profile of the dish. The aroma of the roasted basil reminds you of margherita pizza made in a wood fired oven. Delicious!
Finish baking on broil, for just a minute or two, to crisp up the bacon and add more flavor.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Kebabs
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into 12 1-inch cubes
- 12 strips of bacon
- 12 basil leaves plus a few more leaves chopped, for garnish
- 3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 3 Tbsp white wine
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 6- inch bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Fit a roasting rack inside the baking sheet.
- In a medium size bowl, combine chicken breast cubes, teriyaki sauce, white wine, salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Wrap a bacon strip around each chicken breast piece, placing a basil leaf in between. Thread bacon wrapped chicken breast pieces onto the skewers, 2 pieces per skewer. Leave at least half an inch space between the pieces. If using longer skewer, you may have more pieces per skewer.
- Bake the chicken breasts kebabs for 20-30 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, flipping several times during baking.
- During the last minutes of baking, switch the oven to broil and broil the chicken breast kebabs 1-2 minutes on each side, to crisp up the bacon.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve immediately. You may serve the dish as is, or with warmed up teriyaki sauce.