Another way to get the body and the consistency typical of a milkshake made with ice cream is to add bananas. Bananas will lend their creamy, silky-smooth texture to the milkshake. This milkshake has a very pronounced banana flavor. If you like bananas, you will love this milkshake.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 Tbsp of honey (you can also use corn syrup or maple syrup)
- Peel the bananas. Cut into pieces, add milk and blend on high speed for about 15 seconds.
- Add honey and continue blending until smooth.
If you want a healthier, low cholesterol, lactose-free and vegan milkshake – substitute milk for almond milk. Almond milk is a plant milk that has a smooth, creamy texture and nutty taste, and is perfect for milkshakes. Adding an avocado will further improve the texture and add creaminess and smoothness.
- 6 ice cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tsp fruit syrup (e.g. raspberry, strawberry)
- 4 Tbsp honey, corn syrup or maple syrup
- 2 cups milk
- Blend ice cubes, avocado cubes, honey and milk until smooth. Pour into glasses and top with fruit syrup.
Milkshakes with Egg Yolks
While a milkshake without ice cream can be just as delicious, adding a thickener such as egg yolk will significantly improve its texture and make it taste more like a traditional milkshake. Elizabeth from Livingthenourishedlife.com likes to add raw egg yolks to smoothies because they give them a milkshake texture.
Wait a second, couldn’t using raw eggs result in food-borne illness? Yes, there is always that risk, however small it may be. What’s Cooking America recommends cooking egg yolks for use in such dishes as cold souffles, chiffons, mousses, mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce. The same advice applies to milkshakes. To cook yolks for the milkshake, the recipe must contain at least 2 tablespoons of milk per yolk. Less liquid will result in scrambled eggs. To prepare the egg yolks, combine the yolks with the milk in a medium size sauce pan.
Cook in a heavy sauce pan over low heat until the mixture coats a metal spoon, bubbles, or reaches 160F.
Pour the mixture into a bowl sitting in an ice bath to cool it quickly.
- 2 cups low fat or whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2-3 drops vanilla extract
- 8-10 ice cubes
- Combine ¼ cup milk and the yolks in a medium size sauce pan. Whisk until blended. Heat the mixture over medium low heat until it reaches 160F. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl sitting in an ice bath to chill.
- Blend egg mixture, ice cubes, white sugar and the rest of the milk until smooth.
Click on next page below to continue.