This old-fashioned chocolate dump cake recipe is a real gem. Unlike many chocolate cake recipes out there, this one is less sweet and tastes very balanced and flavorful. An absolute delight to have as accompaniment to tea or coffee.
I got the recipe, as a digital image of a page from an old recipe notebook, from a colleague of mine, Lauren, who raved about this chocolate cake. Supposedly, the recipe is very, very old and had been in their family for close to 100 years. Its my colleague great-uncle Henry’s favorite chocolate cake, hence the original name: Henry’s Favorite Chocolate Cake.
I felt that ‘Chocolate Dump Cake’ would be a more descriptive name, at least for me, given my growing fascination with dump cakes after my struggles with the peach dump cake. With this cake, you literally mix all of the ingredients together, with a few minor caveats along the way, dump into a spring form, bake, pull out and enjoy. Simple as that. Sounds to me like a perfect dump cake recipe.
Having made this chocolate dump cake four times already, I can totally vouch for its greatness. It’s soft, delicate and moderately moist, with no excessive richness. It’s important to not overbake this cake, otherwise it will come out dry. So far it hasn’t been an issue – I’ve pulled it out after exactly 40 minutes and it tasted great. Except for one time when I was too lazy to move my baking stone out of the way and baked directly on the stone. It was the only time when the cake came out a bit dry-tasting.
If you compare the original recipe on the image above to the one on the recipe card below you will notice a few differences. Mainly, I included cocoa powder. It made the cake darker and much more fragrant. I love the smell of cocoa in the chocolate cake.
Additionally, I garnished the cake with a little bit of powdered sugar and some chocolate shavings. No, they did not change the taste at all, but made a great difference visually.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 squares (2 oz / 60 g) good quality chocolate (Valrhona recommended)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (Valrhona recommended)
- ½ tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the garnish: (optional)
- About ½ Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add the melted chocolate, egg yolks and beat well.
- Stir in dry ingredients and milk alternately.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Fold into the batter.
- Dump into a greased 9" spring form and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a stick inserted into the center of the cake comes out dry.
- Let the cake cool slightly, garnish with powdered sugar and chocolate shavings (optionally), and serve.